Friday, September 5, 2008

Going public is harder than I thought

I guess I wasn't quite prepared for the people who say things like "Well, can't you just cut your portions back and exercise?" and "Have you ever tried diet pills or phentermine?"

I just encountered my first one. It burns a little more than I expected. I'm still not sure how to deal with it without being overly defensive. At this point, I'm not even sure if I want to be flat out open with everyone. I know word will spread around my office like wild fire if I tell many more people. I'm just not sure how I feel about people judging and questioning me and my decisions. I want to be open because there are a lot of people who are interested and who know where I'm coming from... plus I want as many supporters I can get... but is it worth having to deal with people judging me on a daily basis? I'm not going to go from person to person explaining my reasoning, health problems, and diet history.

Just in case the person I'm talking about sees or hears about this, I'm not mad. I'm offended, but not mad.

So now I'm questioning my own judgement. Not about getting banded, but whether or not I should be honest. I talked to someone (about whether or not I should be open about it) I look up to and hold as a mentor, someone who knows my story and struggle, someone whose advice I take to heart. She gave me some great advice. I feel better, but I'm still not sure what to do.

No comments: